George in 1974 at KQV

George Hart

George in 1982 at 3WS
George Hart was the last voice heard on KQV before the switch to news in 1975.  Along with Billy Soule, George hosted the final night of KQV.

George was a Pittsburgh native who came to KQV in 1973 and manned the over night shift.  During the Joey Reynolds era in 1975, George teamed with Joe Fenn under the names Frick and Frack as well as Coal and Steel.  The Coal and Steel show was one of the most creative shows in Pittsburgh radio.

After KQV, George spent time at 96KX (WXKX Pittsburgh) as Shawn McCoy. He later went to WOKY in Milwaukee before returning to Pittsburgh and FM-97 (WFFM).  George was also part of the original 3WS staff (WWSW-FM). He also was the pd at the old WPNT-FM in Pittsburgh before leaving for Texas and KONO/KONO-FM (San Antonio).

In 1974, I won a nite light in the KQV George Hart nite light giveaway.  I first met George during the World Famous Wake-a-thon in 1975.  George was kind enough to mentor me, listening to tapes and critiquing my work while he was at 96KX and FM97.  I kept in touch with George until a short time before his death.

George passed away March 29, 1993.  He was undergoing a liver transplant when he didn't make it out of surgery.

I have spoken with his widow who remains in Pittsburgh.  Anyone with any airchecks of George can contact me and I will make sure she gets a copy of them. 

 George Hart Airchecks
 George Hart - 14K Aircheck May 14,1974^
 George Hart Aircheck January 16, 1975
 George Hart Aircheck June 14, 1975
 George Hart Aircheck (part 1) October 14, 1975 KQV's last night of music with Billy Soule
 George Hart Aircheck (part 2) October 14, 1975 KQV's last night of music with Billy Soule
 George as Coal & Steel KQV Aircheck #1
George Hart Obituary from Post Gazette, Wednesday March 31, 1993
George Hart, disc jockey, executive, 39

   George Hart, a disc jockey and radio station executive, died of cardiac arrest during surgery Monday in Presbyterian University Hospital. He was 39.
   Mr. Hart of Green Tree, was with radio station KQV in the 1970s.
   Joe Fenn, now a newscaster at KQV, worked with Mr.Hart as a music disc jockey before the station changed formats in 1975.
   "I'll never forget that night." Fenn said. "The station was supposed to go off at midnight and they pulled the plug an hour early. I remember seeing George staring at a silent speaker. I'll never forget the look on his face."
   Mr. Hart, whose family name was Hartung, worked for WWSW-FM from 1980 to 1984; WLTJ-FM and WPTT-TV from 1984 to 1987; a station in Dallas from 1987 to 1989; and the former WEZE-FM from 1989 to 1990.
   Most recently, Mr. Hart had been with KNON-FM/AM and KSRR-FM in San Antonio.
   He attended Duquesne Univerity, and he donated much of his time to the Make-A-Wish Foundation and Heart Association charities.
   Surviving are his wife, Loretta Jean Burnside Hart; a daughter and two sons, Lori, Jamie and
Christopher, all at home; his mother, Catherine 
Riley Hartung of Pittsburgh; two brothers, 
Raymond A. Hartung, Jr. of McCandless and Harry J. Hartung of Kennedy; and two sisters, Kathy Militzer and Addie Hook, both of Dormont.
   Visitation will be from 1 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. today and tomorrow at the Beinhauer Mortuary, 2630 West Liberty Ave., South Hills. A Mass will be celebrated at 10 a.m. Friday at SS. Simon and Jude Church, Greentree Road, Scott. Interment will be in Queen of Heaven Cemetary, Peters.

George Hart in 1973 at WIXZ in McKeesport
(photo from Mike McGann and Randy McDaniels' WIXZ website)
George Hart in 1974 at KQV pictured with KQV Music Director Gary Waight
(photo appeared in Ed Salamon's book "Pittsburgh's Golden Age Of Radio" courtesy of Terry Caywood)
George Hart with WFFM's Wiffem Bird at 1980 Monroeville Mall Remote
(photo from WFFM colleague Tom Lacko)